Babycakes Tropical Muffin
These nuggets are packed with protein, healthy fats and lots of vitamins and minerals from the pineapple, bananas, lemon juice and dates. They have zero added sugar (the fruit makes them plenty sweet!) and are gluten- and grain-free.
A variation from Badass Fitness Tropical Sunshine Breakfast Muffin which was taken from Morning Glory Muffin from PaleoPlan.
Play with it a little ;). I mix almond, coconut or flax meal and really like the variation. Additionally goodies make it a new recipe every time. Raisins, cranberry, a touch of honey, nuts or not nuts ... sky's the limit on this one. You can also go with or without the protein powder. I use it for post workout or even a quick pre-meal so it suits me perfect.
Double the ingredients for a full or bakers dozen. Otherwise, enjoy a 'bit' of sunshine!
- 1 scoop protein powder of your choice
- 2 pastured eggs
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup crushed pineapple, it its own juice
- 1/4 cup almond butter or coconut butter
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 5 pitted dates, chopped small
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, cranberries, raisins, etc- optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 6-count muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, combine using a hand mixer all ingredients from the p.powder through the nutmeg.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients: carrots, coconut, dates and any 'additions' you desire.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 6 muffin tins, and if desired sprinkle a bit of nuts and coconut over the top of each.
- Bake 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the muffins are a nice golden color.
I often have a tad of batter leftover and pop them into mini muffin pans. Perfect for a tiny treat for me or the kids!